Saturday, February 21, 2009

smile. like this. :D or even XD







Smile!
That is what I have decided to do more often. I don't think about it normally, but people are more aproachable if they are smiling. Would you go talk to someone who looked like a murderous zombie? I know I wouldn't.... Unless I needed someone killed. :D



One day, I made a conscious effort to smile at people where I used to work. The last 5 minutes of work, I smiled at the books I was shelving, the book cart, the book shelves, the ceiling, the glass, the door, the carpet, the counter, the computers and a few people.
There was this Indian guy there, and we normally ignore each other- well, not consciously, it just happens... but I smiled at him, and he smiled right back. I like being smiled at. It makes me want to smile. And if the person who is smiling at me is like me and likes being smiled at, he/she will smile more, which will cause me to smile more, and it goes on. Eventually we will start laughing hysterically. ha ha ha
Which reminds me of the time when I was at the library on a Saturday. I wasn't in a very good mood- some stuff had happened that made me sad... But there was this one guy sitting at a table. 20 something, listening to his ipod, working on something on a laptop. He was pretty cute, and everytime I walked by, he looked up and smiled at me. And when I say everytime, I mean everytime! The first time, I was a bit wary. But then I started smiling back. It made me feel special. Everytime I walked past, he would take the time to look up from his books and smile at me. So my tentative smile transformed to a polite smile to a big smile to a mini grin, to a teeth showing full fledged monkey grin. I ran away when the giggles hit. But then I started walking past his table even when I didn't need to and pretended to shelve books. ha ha ha, well, I was not subtle about it. But the reason I did it was that it boosted my spirit and made me feel good about myself because he was paying attention to me. A cute stranger being nice to me cheered me up immensely.



I also acted like a dork, but he was nice enough not to laugh out loud at me. I got so distracted when he grinned back at me that I walked into the bookshelf and dropped an armload of books. Yes, I know, smooth. I also went tomato red. But the point of this is to show that a smile is a dangerous weapon. I mean that it has the power to make one happy, feel good about themselves and make life better.
So try it! Go practice in a mirror right now. And don't let it be fake. Think of something joyfull- a joke, a friend, a special incident. And smile! Even if you smile at someone while thinking about something else, it boosts their ego, and as a plus improves their impression of you. And honestly, you never know what doors just smiling can open for you!
smile smile smile



And if I walk into a bookshelf around you, that's my way of saying thanks for making me feel special!



p.s. any funny stories, instances ever happpen to u?

share! u know u want to! 

XD

No comments:

Post a Comment